Mamta Singh, Yatender Singh and D.S. Srivastava
Animal Science in the specialty area it you are interested in careers on the science side of agriculture. Animal scientists conduct research designed to improve the production and processing of meats, fish and dairy products. They use biotechnology to study the genetics, nutrition, reproduction, growth, and development of domesticated farm animals. Some animal scientists inspect and grade livestock food products, purchase livestock, or work in technical sales or marketing. As extension agents or consultants, animal scientists advise agricultural producers on how to upgrade animal housing facilities properly, lower mortality rates among their animals, handle waste matter properly, or increase the production of animal products, such as milk or eggs.
Agribusiness is a big, business. People with a business background are needed and employed as: marketing and merchandising specialists; sales representatives; agricultural economists; accountants; finance managers, and; commodity traders, just to name a few. And that’s still not all. Other career possibilities exist in the areas of communications & education, social services, and agricultural production. And, even though food production often takes center stage, don’t forget, as we mentioned earlier, that textiles and fibers also makeup a large portion of the agricultural industry.
Job Opportunities in Agriculture
Placements and Prospects
India is among the largest producers of vegetables and fruits in the world and has an equally strong floriculture base. Today India’s agriculture has become globalised and the idea of integrating Indian agriculture with the world economy is getting support. India has enormous potential as an exporter of agricultural commodities ranging from mushrooms to flowers, spices, cereals, oilseeds and vegetables. The spurt in government support for export of agri-products has evoked considerable interest among the large business houses which have worked out agreements for technology transfer, marketing tie-ups, and management and trading contacts with leading foreign counterparts. Horticulture with its offshoot floriculture has become a focus of export activity. India’s exports of roses, carnations, gladioli, chrysanthemums, jasmine and other tropical plants and flowers are touching new heights.
In the field of fruits and vegetables too, India has tremendous export potential. With the commercialisation of agriculture and horticulture there are varied opportunities for salaried jobs as well as entrepreneurship. While salaried jobs with various government and private concerns provide a regular income, entrepreneurship can generate handsome profits.
Landscapers and horticulturists are hired by hotels, health farms, and holiday resorts to beautify their surroundings. Florists and nurseries are doing lucrative business especially in the metropolitan cities. Suburban farmhouses have become important suppliers for the domestic market.
Different agricultural universities recruit agricultural postgraduates for different post from concerned field of specialisation. Following are some of the positions which are generally advertised by agricultural universities- Plant Pathologist, Plant Pathologist , Breeder , Agro-meteorologist, Economic Botanist., Research Engineer, Agronomist, Scientist, Associate Professor.
Other posts are Assistant Scientists, Assistant Professors , District Extension Specialists, Assistant Plant Pathologist , Assistant Bacteriologist, Assistant Botanist, Assistant Soil Chemist, Junior Pedologist, Assistant Economic Botanist, Assistant Fruit Breeder, Assistant Seed Research Officer, Assistant Seed Research Officer, Junior Entomologist, Assistant Breeder, Junior Breeder , Junior Agronomist, Assistant Vegetable Botanist , Seed Production Assistant, Assistant Research Scientist, Assistant Plant Physiologist.
Qualification for all above posts is Doctor Degree/ master degree in concerned disciple. However for some posts experience in concerned field is required and for Assistant professor and other teaching post, candidate should be NET qualified (conducted by UGC/ CSIR/ICAR/Other). For senior level post Ph.D in concerned field is compulsory requirement
Indian Council of Agricultural Research
One can choose career under ICAR in the areas of research; one can become an Agricultural Research Scientists (ARS). The recruitment to these posts is made through ARS/ NET examination is conducted for Scientist post and lectureship. Presently first time ASRB has change the ARS/NET exam criteria. Now ASRB will conduct ARS/NET (Preliminary and Main) examination. Only those candidates who qualify the preliminary examination will be called for Main examination. Candidate for ARS interview will be selected on the basis of performance in main examination..
Also ICAR has better option for agricultural graduates, postgraduates and for doctorate degree holders. Bachelor degree holder can apply for some technical post in concerned discipline. Also some technical post of level of T-5 (Technical Officer) is better option for postgraduate and above the Technical(T-5) post like T-6 etc and subject matter specialist in Krishi Vigyan Kendras are better opportunities for Ph.D degree holders.
State Agricultural DepartmentS
One can become an Agriculture Development Officers (ADO). The post is equivalent to that of the Block Development Officers (BDO). Recruitment to these posts is made on the basis of an examination conducted by public service commission/concerned department.
You can also apply for the post of a Research Scientist in organisations in the private sector. There, your services may also be utilised in the laboratories in private labs. The desired qualification required for this purpose is of doctoral level i.e. a Ph.D.
After doing your B.Sc. you are eligible to apply for jobs offered by banks, finance sector seed companies, breeding farms, poultry farms and insurance companies etc. Reserve Bank of India, State Bank of India and the nationalised banks offer openings for postgraduates in agriculture and allied areas as Field Officers, Rural Development Officers and Agricultural and Probationary Officers.
Another job opportunity is to join seed companies as Seed Officer, Scientist (Breeding, plant protection etc.), and technical and other field jobs. Besides these, job opportunities also exist in the areas of farm management, land appraisal, grading, packaging and labelling. Both in the public and private sectors jobs are also offered in the field of marketing and sales, transportation, farm utilities, storage and warehousing etc.
Another opportunity is to join embassies as Agricultural Specialist and other post. Also ICRISAT is an organisation for research related job of agriculture field.
Career Opportunities in Agro - Industry Sector:
Agro - industry provides jobs to scientists, engineers, technologists, sales and marketing people, besides the production people. These areas of work relate to production, food processing, grain and seed processing, meat and poultry packing, dairy processing, fats and oils, textiles, fibres, machinery and equipment, fertiliser and lime, pesticides, herbicide, feed manufacturing, constructions, etc. for which people with adequate knowledge, in the respective fields are required.
Agricultural branch of engineering provides better job prospects as compared to other branches. The job is related to activities aimed at improving agriculture, reconstructing rural areas in general and agricultural machinery, power, farm structures, soil and water conservation, rural electrification, etc.
Job opportunities also exist in this relatively new areas. Agriculture related Job opportunities7 are also available in estates and tea gardens.
In order to regulate the functions of adequate and timely supply of seeds, chemicals, fertilizers, etc. at genuine price, as also to regulate quality of the food products supplied for consumption by people, there is requirement for people to inspect, grade, quality control chemicals, plants and animal quarantine, agricultural technicians, agricultural consultants, agricultural statisticians, veterinarians, foreign agricultural service, inspection and regulation, food and feed, seed and fertiliser.
There are several Government agencies at centre, state and district levels, which appoint of agricultural employees. In addition, at the international level the Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) of the United Nation and some other agencies related to the development of agriculture also appoints consultants.
Various corporations providing job opportunities to agriculturists include National Seed Corporation, State Farm Corporation, Warehousing Corporation and Food Corporation.
1. Acharya N G Ranga Agricultural University (ANGRAU), Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh
(The list is indicative only)
2. Agricultural University Udaipur
3. Anand Agricultural University, Anand, Gujarat.
4. Assam Agricultural University (AAU) , Jorhat, Assam 785013
5. Bidhan Chandra Krishi Vishva Vidyalaya (BCKVV), West Bengal
6. Birsa Agricultural University (BAU), Ranchi, Jharkhand.
7. Central Agricultural University (CAU),Imphal, Manipur
8. Central Institute on Fisheries Education, Mumbai
9. Dr. Panjabrao Deshmukh Krishi Vishwa Vidyalaya (PKV) , Akola, Maharashtra
10. Dr. Yashwant Singh Parmar University of Horticulture & Forestry (YSPUH&E), Himachal Pradesh
11. Govind Ballabh Pant University of Agriculture and Technology (GBPAU&T), Pantnagar, Uttar Pradesh
12. Gujarat Agricultural University, Sardar Krushinagar Dantiwada (Banaskantha)
13. Indian Agricultural Research Institute, New Delhi
14. Indian Veterinary Research Institute, Izatnagar
15. Indira Gandhi Krishi Vishwa Vidyalaya (IGKVV), Krishak Nagar, Raipur
16. Jawaharlal Nehru Krishi Vishwa Vidyalaya(JNKVV), Jabalpur Madhya Pradesh
17. Junagadh Agricultural University (JAU), Junagadh, Gujarat
18. Konkan Krishi Vidyapeeth (KKV), Dopali, Maharashtra
19. Kerala Agricultural University (KAU) Kerala
20. Maharana Pratap University of Agriculture & Technology (MPUAT), Udaipur, Rajasthan
21. Maharashtra Animal Sciences & Fisheries Sciences University (MASFSU), Nagpur, Maharashtra
22. Mahatma Phule Krishi Vidyapeeth (MPKV), Maharashtra
23. Marathwada Agricultural University (MAU) Parbhani, Maharashtra
24. Narendra Deva University of Agriculture & Technology, Narendra Nagar Faizabad
25. Navsaro Agricultural University (NAU), Navsari, Gujarat
26. National Dairy Research Institute, Karnal
27. Orissa University of Agriculture and Technology, Bhubaneswar
28. Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana
29. Rajasthan Agricultural University, Bikaner
30. Rajendra Agricultural University (RAU) Pusa, Samastipur, Bihar
31. Sardar Vallabah Bhai Patel University of Agriculture & Technology (SVBPUAT), Meerut.
32. Sardar Krishi Nagar-Dantiwada Agricultural University (SADAU), Gujarat
33. Sher-e-Kashmir University of Agricultural Fishery Sciences & Technology (SKUAS&T), Jammu
34. Sher-e-Kashmir University of Agricultural Sciences and Technology, Srinagar (J&K)
35. Tamil Nadu Agricultural University (TNAU), Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu
36. Tamil Nadu Veterinary & Animal Sciences University (TNV&ASU), Chennai
37. University of Agricultural Sciences, G.K.V.K. Bangalore
38. University of Agricultural Sciences, Krishi Nagar, Dharwad, Karnataka
39. UP Pandit Deen Dayal Upadhyay Pashu Chikitasa Vigyan Vishwavidyalaya, Mathura, UP.
40. Uttar Banga Krishi Vishwavidyalaya (UBKV), West Bangal
41. West Bengal University of Animal & Fishery Sciences (WBUA&FS), Kolkata