- Om Shashi Shekhar Singh
Keeping pace with the latest information about careers and courses has been a daunting task. Today there exist undergraduate and Postgraduate courses in all subjects. Undergraduate courses are aimed to provide basic knowledge in all operational areas of particular subject. The undergraduate courses may be termed as Bachelors degree. The nomenclature makes no real difference. These courses are conducted by Universities and provide admission to +2 students from all subject streams. Admission to some prestigious Universities is made through a selection examination.
Correspondence education has brought about a tremendous change in the education system of our country. It is predicted that in the next two decades of the coming century teachers from conventional teaching would ‘perform live’ to learn across the country with the help of satellite communication, low power transmitters and through the information super-highways. The beginning has been made.
There are 14 Open Universities and 75 regular Universities and many other institutions running distance learning programmes in our country. The emergence of the distance learning mode is providing benefits to many categories of learners in particular to (a) late entrants, (b) people who do not have access to highest education in their place of stay, (c) people on the job and (d) to those who wish to supplement their educational qualifications.
Open Universities offer flexible courses options which can be taken by entrants who may not have any formal qualification but have reached the required age (18-20 years for 1st degree courses) and also have cleared a written entrance test. The courses can be taken at the student’s pace. Distance education centers of Universities grant admission to candidates who fulfill minimum eligibility which is the same as for regular courses. Correspondence educational institutions provide students with course materials, contact classes and conduct examinations. Most of the teaching learning process incorporates printed learning material as well as the multimedia facilities set up at nodal centers or through the Television and Radio networks. These Universities offer graduate courses, postgraduate courses, M. Phil., Ph. D. and also diploma and certificate courses many of which are career oriented.
Following Open Universities/ Universities/Institutions offer correspondence courses:
- Indira Gandhi National Open University – Maidan Garhi, New Delhi- 110068 India Tel.: 91-11-29532321,29535924-32, Fax: 91-11-29536588 E-mail: email@example.com
- Dr. B.R. Ambedkar Open University (BRAOU), Hyderabad, A.P. - (1982) Prof. G. Ram Reddy Marg Road No.46, Jubilee Hills, Hyderabad – 500033, Andhra Pradesh, India Tel.: 9140-23544910 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vardhman Mahaveer Open University (Vmou), Kota, Rajasthan - (1987) Rawatbhata Road, Akhelgarh, Kota-324010, Rajasthan, Tel.: 91-744-2471254 Fax: 91-744-2470451
- Nalanda Open University (NOU), Patna, Bihar - (1987) IIIrd Floor, Biscomaun Bhawan, West Gandhi Maidan, Patna - 800001, Bihar, India Tel.: 91-612-2201013 E-mail: email@example.com
- Yashwantrao Chavan Maharashtra Open University (YCMOU), Nashik, Maharashtra - (1989) Dnyanagangotri, Near Gangapur Dam, Nashik-422222, Maharashtra India Tel.: 91-253-2231714,2231715 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Madhya Pradesh Bhoj Open University (MPBOU), Bhopal, M.P. - (1991) I.T.I (Gas Rahat), Building Govindpura, Bhopal - 462023 Tel.: 07552784102 E-mail: email@example.com
- Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Open University (BAOU), Ahmedabad, Gujarat - (1994) Govt. Bungalow No.9, Dafnala, Shahi Baug, Ahmedabad-380003, Gujarat, India Tel.: 91-79-22869690/91 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Karnataka State Open University (KSOU), Mysore, Karnataka - (1996) Manasagangotri, Mysore - 570006, Karnataka, India Tel.: 91-821-2515149 Fax: 91-821-2500846 Email: email@example.com
- Netaji Subhas Open University (NSOU), Kolkata, W.B. - (1997) 1, Woodburn Park, Kolkata -700020, West Bengal, India Tel.: 91-33-22835157 Fax: 91-33-22835052 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- U.P. Rajarshi Tandon Open University (UPRTOU), Allahabad, U.P. - (1998) 17, Maharshi Dayanand Marg (Thornhill Road), Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh, India Tel.: 91-532-2621840, E-mail: email@example.com
- Tamil Nadu Open University (TNOU), Chennai, Tamil Nadu - (2002) Directorate of Technical Education Campus, Guindy, Chennai-600025 Phone: 044-22351414 Fax: 044-2220 0601
- PT. Sunderlal Sharma Open University (PSSOU), Bilaspur, Chhattisgarh (2005) Near Pandit Deen Dayal Upadhayay Park, Vayapar Vihar, Bilaspur (Chattisgarh) -495001 Phone No: 07752 – 514255
- Uttaranchal Open University, Haldwani, (NAINITAL), Uttaranchal - Near Sourabh Mount View, Bhotia Traow, Haldwani-263141, Nainital
- K. K. Handique State University, Guwahati, Assam
Other State Universities offering Distance Education Programmes:
1. Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Hyderabad, AP.
2. Kakatiya University, Warangal, AP.
3. Osmania University; Hyderabad, AP.
4. Potti Sreeramulu Telugu University, Hyderabad, AP
5. Sri Krishnadevaraya University, Ananthapur, AP.
6. Sri Venkateswara University, AP.
7. Sri Padmavati Mahila Vishvavidyalaya, Tirupati, AP.
8. Nalsar Universitxdy of Law, Hyderabad, AP.
9. Nagarjuna University, Nagarjuna Nagar, A P.
10. Bangalore University, Bangalore, Karnataka.
11. Kannada University, Hampi, Karnataka
12. Gulbarga University, Gulbarga, Karnataka
13. Mangalore University, Mangalagangothri, Karnataka
14. Kuvempu University, Shankaraghatta, Karnataka
15. University of Mysore, Mysore, Karnataka
16. Goa University, Goa.
17. Gauhati University, Guwahati, Assam
18. Dibrugarh University, Dibrugarh, Assam
19. BRA Bihar University, Muzaffarpur, Bihar
20. Lalit Narayan Mithila University, Darbhanga, Bihar
21. Patna University, Patna; Bihar
22. Tilak Manjhi Bhagalpur University, Bhagalpur, Bihar.
23. Orissa University of Agriculture & Technology, Bhubaneshwar, Orissa
24. Sambalpur University, Sambalpur, Orissa
25. Berhampur University, Berhampur, Orissa
26. Utkal University, Bhubaneswar, Orissa
27. Fakir Mohan University, Balasore, Orissa
28. North Orissa University, Mayurbhanj, Orissa.
29. Tripura University, Tripura
30. University of Burdwan, West Bengal
31. Vidyasagar University, Midnapur, West Bengal.
32. Jadavpur University, West Bengal
33. Rabindra Bharati University, Kolkata, West Bengal
34. University of Kalyani, Distt. Nadia, West Bengal
35. Guru Jambheshwar University, Hissar, Haryana
36. Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra, Haryana.
37. M.D. University, Rohtak, Haryana
38. H.P. University Shimla (HP)
39. University of Jammu, J & K
40. University of Kashmir, Srinagar, J & K.
41. Punjab University, Chandigarh, Punjab
42. Punjabi University, Patiala, Punjab.
43. Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar, Punjab
44. G.B. Pant University, Pantnagar, Uttaranchal
45. Kumaun University, Nainital, Uttaranchal
46. B.R Ambedkar University, Agra, U.P.
47. University of Lucknow, Lucknow, U.P.
48. Guru Ghasidas University, Bilaspur, Chhattisgarh
49. Avdesh Pratap Singh University, Rewa, MP
50. Barkatullah Vishwavidyalaya, Bhopal. M.P.
51. Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya, Indore, M.P
52. Dr. Harisingh Gour Vishwavidyalaya, Sagar, MP
53. Jiwaji University, Gwalior, MP
54. M.G. Chitrakoot Gramodya Vishwavidyalaya, Chitrakoot, MP
55. Rani Durgawati University, Jabalpur, MP
56. Shivaji University, Kolhapur, MP
57. SNDT Women’s University, Mumbai, Maharashtra
58. University of Mumbai, Vidyanagari, Mumbai.
59. Amravati University, Amravati.
60. Swami Ramanand Teerth Marathwada University, Nanded, Maharashtra
61. Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam, Kerala
62. University of Calicut, Calicut, Kerala.
63. Kannur University, Kalliasseri, Kerala.
64. University of Kerala, Trivendrum, Kerala.
65. Alagappa University, Karaikudi, Tamil Nadu.
66. Annamalai University, Annamalainagar, Tamil Nadu
67. Bharathiar University, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu
68. Bharathidasan University, TiruchirappaIli, Tamilnadu
69. Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai, Tamil Nadu
70. Manonmaniam Sundaranar University, Thirunelveli, Tamil Nadu
71. Mother Teresa Women’s University, Kodaikanal, Tamil Nadu.
72. Tamilnadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu
73. University of Madras, Madras, Tamilnadu
74. Periyar University, Salem, Tamil Nadu
75. Tamilnadu Dr. Ambedkar Law University, Chennai
Degree Courses (Graduate and Post graduate) through Correspondence:
- B.A. (almost all subjects), B.Sc. (almost all subjects), B. Com.
- M.A. (almost all subjects), M.Sc. (almost all subjects), M. Com.
- BJMC, B. Tech., M. Tech.
- Bachelor of Tourism
- B. Ed., M. Ed.
- BLIS, MLIS
- BBA, MBA
There are a variety of diploma courses offered by these Universities. Here are some courses offered diploma/certificate courses:
Engineering/Technology related courses
- Sugar Technology
- Industrial Safety
- Chemical Processes, Instrumentation & Control
- Applied Electronics
- Automobile Technology
- Computer for Office Management/Services
- Computer Applications/ Computer Science/ Computer Programming
- Computer Systems
- Fertilizer Technology
- Poultry Science, Aquaculture, Prawn Farming, Sericulture
- Guidance and Counseling
- Early Childhood Education and Care
- Educational Planning
- School Management
- Cosmetic Science
- TV Mechanics
- Medical Lab Technology
- Construction Management
- Diploma in Banking and Finance
- Diet Therapy
- Food & Nutrition
- Industrial Pollution and Control
- Industrial Waste Water Treatment
- Nutrition and Health Education
- Nutrition for Community
- Bachelor of General Law (BGL)
- Bachelor of Academic Law (LLB-Aca), LLM
- Diploma in Labour Law
- Law of Taxation
- Diploma in Company Law
- Diploma in Consumer Protection Law and Law & Public Service
(The lists are indicative only)
(The author is Chief Librarian Navodaya Vidyalaya, Mewat (Old Gurgaon) – 122108, Haryana e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org)